Friday, May 6, 2011

New Skillz

I need to somehow obtain some new skills desperately. I don't really have any talents that can also be described as skills. I can't sing, I'm not artsy, I burn more food in the kitchen than anybody I know (last night I burned my Ramen) and I don't have a weird ocd thing for keeping everything nice and organized all the time...I really wish I was more like one of those girls who has to have everything clean and straightened and perfect or they can't relax.....but I've really never had a problem relaxing while my apartment looks like a black hole, I block it out and I'm just fine.
In seminary we used to do this thing where we write notes to other people telling them their talents and what they're good at..... mine always said things like "good listener" and "nice" and "sometimes looks pretty"-seriously- someone anonymously told me I sometimes look pretty. wow thanks, good to know I'm sometimes good at looking nice....weirdo. 
But anyways.......totally getting off the subject- my point is, I want a talent/skill I can quantify- and instead of waiting for my sleeper martha stewart gene to kick in, I'm going to force/start it myself. A few months ago my mom came to visit and bought me this:


Last Saturday was my "learn how to be awesome at sewing" day. It went.....okay. Lucky for me this machine came with an instructional dvd! haha but not so lucky for Jeff I had to keep playing it over and over and over again. I ended up making a simple white pleated skirt- which has yet to fall apart! yay me.
Also- this is really pretty embarrassing-but apparently you're supposed to use an iron while sewing to keep all of the seams down.....except we didn't really have an iron. after almost two years of marriage. no iron. This was also the very first time I thought- hey I should probably get an iron- after 5 years of living on my own it just never came up! I was talking to my friend Elise and at least she thinks I'm still cool- she was actually impressed. I blame my lack of an iron on that sleeper martha stewart gene.

3 comments:

  1. duh. I wish I was more like you, dang it. Your dress was hot- even jeff could pull it off- hahaha. love you,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, those notes in seminary sometimes felt like backwards compliments. sewing is rough, I have been recently trying to make things for baby K but like I said its been rough... Love your blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete